Thursday, June 24, 2010

Football WAGs


I will be honest – it is no coincidence that the negligence of this site just so happened to begin with the dawning of World Cup fever (these things are inherit, blame my Chilean heritage). So in these last few weeks while our living room sofas provide merciless substitutes for our beds, some of us may have noticed a curious gaggle of silicone blondes claiming their share of newspaper headlines. The Wives and Girlfriends (WAGs) of our beloved footballers have basked in much of the spotlight surrounding the event, so much so that many managers have banned the stylish beauties from staying anywhere near their vulnerable players. Coined by the British media during the 2006 World Cup, the WAG embodies superficiality at its very worse – and we cannot love it more.

The lavish lifestyle is simply irresistible – reality television shows offer coverage of the women’s extravagant shopping sprees, websites are dedicated to the tireless occupation of tracking the women wherever they go, and mainstream media never fail to point to these supposed distractions, regularly blaming the WAGs for their husbands’ embarrassing on-field blunders. The enormous rise in female bankruptcy has been attributed to the glorification of WAGs and their indulgent lifestyles, with young women demanding the hairstyle, wardrobe, beauty treatments, cars and holidays enjoyed by their much wealthier idols, eventually drowning in debt before they’ve even landed a regular gal’s salary. But perhaps what’s even more interesting is that today many women aspire to the sole occupation of sponging off their husbands’ success, pursuing the extraordinarily shallow existence of shopping, pampering and partying.

There is little doubt that we have carelessly stepped away from the empowered working women of previous generations. The WAG phenomenon was created by the media, and happily lapped up by the public. The extent to which the media is able to manipulate our sense of direction and purpose is something else to look out for in the last remaining weeks of the World Cup.

14 comments:

  1. I'm boggled by all this. I do blame it mostly on the media which glorifies the stupidity.

    I feel ancient since I remember the days when the Hollywood celebrities were the stars, not the vapid attention-seekers of today. It does make me glad that I can't get cable TV where I live, though.

    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Valerie! I agree, I think that media has made normal hard working people think they have to have or do what the celebrities have and do. My husband and I now (after years of college and debt) try to only buy things if we can pay cash or them. Some years are better than others. I've noticed something within myself lately...I want less. I've given a lot of "stuff" to charity. I'm buying less...Our next house will be smaller. I used to think bigger meant better, now I just think it means more to keep up.

    PS...I'm so glad I don't have my lips done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome post! Sidenote: My World Cup fever officially ended today after Slovakia took out Italy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you suggest anything better for a stupid attractive woman than marrying a footballer?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most footballers can hardly string a sentence together either. What on earth do they talk about?....If only my country (Scotland) could get to a world cup again I'd be a lot more interested than I am.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We're pretty engrossed in this Train Wreck TV, but I retain hope that the over-exposure will tire us of it. I kinda hope "Reality will be a fad of the era, like Veriety Shows of the 70's.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the whole concept of the vapid being held up as admirable and as role models for young women deeply disturbing.
    Thank goodness there are some alternative role models (Julia Gillard leaps to mind).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true, Al. Gillard is brains and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know much about soccer, so this is a whole new pool of shallow for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post about our continuing fascination with celebrities.

    Your blog is great fun!
    http://historyandwomen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shh, don't tell anyone, but I'm actually glad England is out so now life can return to some semblance of normality. Yesterday was BRUTAL!

    And oh, the WAGs. Sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Many managers have banned the stylish beauties from staying anywhere near their vulnerable players."

    Can managers ban wives from being near their husbands? That's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The whole idea of the WAG makes me shudder. Don't women have any pride anymore? Or talent? I'm not one of those strident feminists but seeing this kind of thing makes me feel gross.

    Jai

    ReplyDelete
  14. Didn't they used to be referred to as "Trophy Wives", or are they just the trappings of CEO's? Instead I refer to mine as a "keeper".

    ReplyDelete